French Toast Skillet
Enjoy this delicious recipe from Chef Deirdre Quinn of Chicago's G&O.
Prep: 2 hours 30 minutesCook: 15 minutesTotal: 2 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 small brioche loaf, cut into 1" cubes
- 7 egg yolks
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Dry out brioche cubes (uncover overnight or bake in the oven at 250ºF for 20 min).
- In a large mixing bowl, make a custard by combining yolks, milk, cream, sugar and vanilla. Whisk until well combined.
- Completely submerge dried brioche in custard and allow to soak until bread is completely rehydrated (approx. 2 hours).
- Preheat oven to 450ºF degrees.
- Gently squeeze out excess custard and transfer brioche pieces to a well buttered 8” cast iron pan (an 8"x8" pyrex baking dish will work if you don’t have a cast iron pan).
- Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until the custard is set.
- Top with powdered sugar and/or your favorite syrup.