French Toasted-Ham Sandwiches
In these ham sandwiches with a twist, the bread is dipped in an egg batter like French toast, giving this sandwich more flavor and character.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 tsp. prepared yellow mustard
- 12 slices firm white bread
- 12 thin slices cooked ham
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- Spread a thin layer of mustard over each slice of bread. On each of 6 slices, place 2 slices of ham and 1 slice of cheese. Top with remaining 6 slices of bread, mustard side down.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs with milk, salt, and pepper.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over low heat.
- Dip sandwiches in egg mixture, turning to coat well. Depending on the size of the skillet, cook 2 or 3 at a time. Place sandwiches in the hot skillet and brown well on each side.