Fresh Apple Bar Cookies
The taste of apples and cinnamon is complemented with a rich browned butter frosting in these classic and simple bars.
Serves: 36Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup very finely chopped peeled apple
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9-by-13-inch pan with nonstick baking spray containing flour.
- In large bowl, cream butter with sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, egg, and vanilla and mix well.
- Sift together flour, whole wheat flour, and baking powder. Add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix well. Beat in apples and 1⁄4 cup apple juice, then stir in remaining flour mixture.
- Spread in prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes until bars are golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack.