Fresh Berry Pie
This pie is made with three kinds of fresh berries and a homemade crust. The crust is to die for—you won’t even miss the gluten!
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 4 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour (with xanthan gum)
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter
- 3–4 Tbsp. ice water
- cooking spray
- 1 cup raspberries
- 4 cups sliced strawberries, divided
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. gluten-free vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Whisk flour and salt together in a large bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse sand. Add 3 to 4 tablespoons water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the mixture just comes together.
- On a floured surface, gently knead dough until it’s softened and pliable. Roll dough into a circle about 1⁄4 inch thick.
- Grease a pie plate with gluten-free nonstick cooking spray. Carefully place dough into the pie plate and press into the plate. Bake crust for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, mash raspberries and 2 cups strawberries together in a medium saucepan. Add lemon juice, vanilla, and cornstarch. Heat for about 5 minutes over medium heat, or until filling has thickened.
- Pour the filling into the piecrust. Arrange blueberries and remaining strawberries over the top of the filling. Chill for at least 4 hours until set.