Fresh Cherry Turnovers
Fresh cherries make all the difference in these fantastic pastries. The end result is well worth the time and effort that goes into pitting the fruit!
Serves: 12Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 ½ packages (17.3 oz.) vegan puff pastry, thawed
- 3 lbs. fresh cherries, pitted
- 1½ cup sugar
- 6 Tbsp. orange juice
- 6 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp. vegan margarine
- 6 Tbsp. soymilk
- 1½ Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup turbinado raw sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. On a lightly floured board, gently roll 1 sheet of puff pastry into a 10" × 10" square. Cut in half and then in half again, to make 4 equal squares. Repeat with the other two pastry sheets. Refrigerate until ready to fill.
- In a large saucepan, bring cherries, sugar, orange juice, and cornstarch to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Turn heat to low and continue to cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the margarine and remove from the heat. Cool for 15–20 minutes. Place about 2 tablespoons of filling into the center of each pastry square. Whisk soymilk and olive oil together until blended.
- Brush the edges of each pastry with the soymilk mixture. Take one corner of each pastry and fold over to the opposite corner, forming a triangle. Crimp the edges together with the tines of a fork. Brush the top of each pastry with the soymilk mixture and sprinkle with 1–2 teaspoons of raw sugar on the top. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake until puffy and golden brown, about 20 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.