Fresh Cocktail Sauce with Shrimp
Making your own cocktail sauce is easy to do and is free of the sugar, preservatives, and high fructose corn syrup found in most commercial brands. Serve it with freshly blanched jumbo shrimp.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 shallot, peeled
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup prepared horseradish
- 2 lbs. jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Place the tomato paste, vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, shallot, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper into a food processor. Blend until mostly smooth. Transfer to a small serving dish and stir in the horseradish. Refrigerate.
- In a large saucepan over high heat, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Add shrimp and cook for 5 minutes, or until pink and curled to a "c".
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, add 4 cups water and ice. Drain shrimp and plunge into ice bath until shrimp is cold. Arrange the chilled shrimp around the serving dish with the cocktail sauce and serve cold.