Fresh Cod Meatballs
If you do not have mascarpone cheese, you can substitute cream cheese in a pinch.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 5 thick slices day-old or toasted Italian bread
- 1 3⁄4 lbs. fresh cod fillet, finely chopped or ground
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 2 medium Italian peppers, seeded and finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cups grated Romano cheese
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Soak the bread in water for 1 minute. Thoroughly squeeze out all the liquid and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add cod, bell pepper, Italian peppers, garlic, egg, mascarpone cheese, and black pepper. Form the mixture into balls about 2 to 3 inches diameter. Roll the balls in the grated Romano.
- Heat about olive oil in a large skilled over medium heat. Fry for 15 to 20 minutes, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until cooked through.
- Transfer the meatballs to paper towels to drain.