Fresh Cod Meatballs
If you do not have mascarpone cheese, you can substitute cream cheese in a pinch.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 5 thick slices day-old or toasted Italian bread
- 1¾ lbs. fresh cod fillet, finely chopped or ground
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 2 medium Italian peppers, seeded and finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup mascarpone cheese
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cups grated Romano cheese
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Soak the bread in water for 1 minute. Thoroughly squeeze out all the liquid and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add cod, bell pepper, Italian peppers, garlic, egg, mascarpone cheese, and black pepper. Form the mixture into balls about 2" to 3" in diameter. Roll the balls in the grated Romano.
- Heat about olive oil in a large skilled over medium heat. Fry for 15 to 20 minutes, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until cooked through.
- Transfer the meatballs to paper towels to drain.