Fresh Fruit Tart
This versatile recipe can be changed and adapted to reflect the freshest fruits of the season. Use your favorite fruits to make your own gorgeous creations!
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup water
- 1⅓ cups soymilk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 unbaked vegan pie or pastry dough pressed into a 9" pie or tart pan
- 2 medium peaches, pitted and sliced
- 2 small kiwi, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup sliced strawberries
- ½ cup blackberries
- ½ cup apricot jam
- 2 Tbsp. water
- Lay a sheet of foil over the pie crust, fill with dry beans to keep the crust from puffing up, and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the foil along with the beans and continue baking for 15–18 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
- With an electric mixer on high speed, beat together cornstarch, flour, sugar, and water in a medium bowl for 2 minutes, or until mixture is smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, warm soymilk over medium-low heat until it simmers. Take ⅓ cup of the warm soymilk and mix into the cornstarch mixture until blended. Add the contents of the bowl to the saucepan with the warm soymilk. Heat mixture over medium-low, whisking vigorously until mixture has the consistency of a pudding. Stir in vanilla extract and pour into the prebaked tart crust. Smooth the top. Cool.
- Arrange fruit on top of the cooled tart. Combine apricot jam and water in a small saucepan and heat over medium-low. Strain through fine sieve. Cool slightly then brush evenly over fruit.