Fresh Garden Tomato Sauce
Serves: 12Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 3 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green (or sweet red) pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 8 cups peeled and crushed fresh tomatoes
- 1 can (5½ oz.) tomato paste
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ½ cup dry red wine
- In large, heavy saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil. Add celery, onion, and peppers and sauté for 5 minutes. Add crushed garlic; sauté additional 2 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, zucchini, oregano, basil, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 2–3 hours.
- Add wine during last 30 minutes of cooking.