Fresh Plum Tomato and Basil Sauce
This goes great over any pasta. Pair it with gnocchi for a real treat.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 24 ripe plum tomatoes
- 6 oz. extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 Thai chili or other hot pepper of your choice
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- Bring 4 quarts water to a boil. Score the end of each tomato in a crisscross motion, just deep enough to cut the skin. Blanch the tomatoes in the boiling water for 20 to 30 seconds to loosen the skin. Shock the tomatoes in ice water. Peel off the skin and slice the tomatoes in half. Remove and discard the seeds, and dice the tomatoes.
- In a medium-sized pot, heat the olive oil on medium. Add the garlic and hot pepper, and cook for 1 minute. Add the basil and cook for 1 more minute. Add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 10 to 12 minutes. Serve over pasta.