Fresh Spring Soup with Baby Peas
To add protein, garnish this soup with a few cooked shrimp or a few tablespoons smoked ham, finely chopped.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup baby arugula
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 oz. cornstarch
- 3 cups gluten-free vegetable stock
- ⅛ tsp. ground allspice
- 2 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1½ cups fresh baby peas or 1 package (10 oz.) frozen peas
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- In a stockpot over medium heat, sauté the onions or scallions, garlic, spinach, and arugula in olive oil for 5 minutes, to wilt them.
- Whisk in the cornstarch and vegetable stock. Stir in the allspice and lemon zest. When smooth, move to a blender and purée.
- Return the soup to the pot and add the peas. Cook for 5–8 minutes or until tender.
- Add the cream, salt, and pepper. Serve hot.