Fresh Tomato and Basil Soup
The taste is so fresh and delicious, you will want to serve this soup year-round. This goes perfectly with grilled cheese.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, stems removed
- 2 Tbsp. fresh oregano leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Make a roux with the butter and cornstarch in a large stock pot or Dutch oven; cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Place the tomatoes, basil, oregano and garlic in the blender and process until smooth. Stir the tomatoes into the hot butter mixture.
- Bring to a boil, and add the milk and cream. Reduce heat and keep over low heat for 3–4 minutes; sprinkle with salt and pepper.