Fresh Tomato Pizza Sauce
Never underestimate the power of salt and time. The salt draws some of the water from the tomatoes, leaving less volume but more flavor.
Serves: 32Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 8 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 6 cups ripe tomatoes, small-diced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup fresh basil ribbons
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Place diced tomatoes in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Toss to mix well. Place colander over a bowl, cover loosely, and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Remove tomatoes from the refrigerator and lightly press the top with the back of a spoon to release more liquid. Spoon tomatoes from the colander to a bowl. Discard liquid. Drizzle olive oil over tomatoes and add basil ribbons. Add pepper and toss to combine.