Calamari (squid) can be bought cleaned and frozen for this recipe. All you need to do is thaw them, cut them into rings (if they are still in their tubular shape), and flash fry them. Serve with marinara sauce or a garlicky aioli.
Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- 2 lbs. thawed calamari, cut into rings
- 1 medium lemon, cut into wedges
- Mix flour with salt, paprika, and pepper.
- Heat 4 cups vegetable oil in a 6-quart soup pot or a deep fryer to 365°F.
- Toss a handful of calamari in flour mixture and shake off excess.
- Deep fry until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining calamari. Serve immediately with lemon wedges.