Fried chicken is a tasty treat to make at home. Serve it for dinner or pack it for a picnic at the park with all your favorite sides.
Serves: 6Prep: 15 minutesCook: 40 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 chicken (3-4 lbs.), cut up (breasts, thighs, legs and wings)
- In heavy pan on stove or deep fryer, heat oil to 325°F.
- In large bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and cayenne pepper.
- In another large bowl, add buttermilk.
- Working one by one, lightly dust chicken in flour, dip into buttermilk until coated, then place back into flour mixture. Press flour mixture into chicken to ensure chicken is thoroughly coated. Gently place in oil.
- Repeat with remaining pieces of chicken. Cook until deep golden brown, about 10 to 20 minutes depending on piece of chicken.
- Check internal temperature of each piece. Chicken is done when internal temperate reads 180°F. Transfer to paper towel-lined baking sheet.
- Serve. Refrigerate leftovers.