This is a classic Italian street vendor’s treat. Fried dough is delicious with any of a number of sweet toppings, including confectioners' sugar, honey, and jam.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 1 packet (1⁄4 oz.) dry active yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water (should not exceed 115°F)
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 lb. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp. iodized salt
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- In a small bowl, stir together the yeast and the water and let stand for about 5 minutes until foamy.
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat the eggs and stir in the melted butter.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine the egg mixture with the dissolved yeast mixture.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients in a mixer using a dough hook until fully incorporated and the dough forms into a ball.
- Cover and let rise for 1 hour in a warm place. Punch down the dough and knead it. Form the dough into flat 4-inch circular pieces (1⁄2 inch thick), cover, and let rise in a warm place again for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Fry the dough pieces one at a time until browned and cooked through. Transfer the fried dough to paper towels to drain. Let cool slightly, then sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar and serve.