Fried Green Tomatoes
There are many ways to make these, but a cornmeal mixture provides the right amount of crunch. Serve these as a side dish or combine with a sauce or sliced cheese and serve as a first course.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 large, firm green tomatoes
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ⅛ tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- Slice tomatoes into rounds about ¼"–½" thick. Sprinkle tomatoes with salt and black pepper on both sides. Dip in ¼ cup flour to lightly coat.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs. In another shallow bowl, combine cornmeal, remaining ½ cup flour, and cayenne pepper.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat. The bottom of the skillet should be completely covered with oil to a depth of about ⅛"–¼".
- Dip floured green tomato slices in beaten egg, then dredge in cornmeal mixture to coat thoroughly. Fry in batches until browned, then turn to brown the other side. They’ll take about 3 minutes on each side.