Fried Green Tomatoes with Basil Sour Cream
These classic tart, flavorful Southern favorites go particularly well with the light summer salads.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 large green tomatoes, sliced ½" thick (should total 12–14 slices)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 large eggs, beaten and diluted with ½ cup milk
- 4 cups breadcrumbs
- 3 cups canola oil
- 2 tsp. salt
- Combine sour cream with basil and pepper in a small bowl. Refrigerate.
- Heat oil to 325°F in a large frying pan or Dutch oven.
- Dredge each tomato slice in flour, then eggs, then breadcrumbs, pressing the breadcrumbs to ensure adherence. Fry in small batches until slices feel tender when tested with a fork. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- Season with salt and serve immediately with reserved sauce.