Fried Green Tomatoes with Basil Sour Cream
These classic tart, flavorful Southern favorites go particularly well with the light summer salads.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 large green tomatoes, sliced 1⁄2 inch thick (12 to 14 slices)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups breadcrumbs
- 6 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 cups canola oil
- 2 tsp. salt
- Combine sour cream with basil and pepper in a small bowl. Refrigerate.
- Heat oil to 325°F in a large frying pan or Dutch oven.
- Place flour in a shallow bowl. Place breadcrumbs in a second shallow bowl. In a third bowl, mix together eggs and milk. Dredge each tomato slice in flour, then egg mixture, then breadcrumbs, pressing the breadcrumbs to ensure adherence. Fry in small batches until slices feel tender when tested with a fork. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
- Season with salt and serve immediately with reserved sauce.