Fried Mashed Potato Balls
This recipe turns leftover mashed potatoes into a fun appetizer! Serve with sour cream for dipping.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1¼ tsp. salt, divided
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- ½ cup plus 3 Tbsp. milk, divided
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅛ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 5 cups vegetable oil
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Cook in boiling salted water until they are tender and pierce easily with a fork.
- Place the potatoes in a bowl and add the butter, 3 tablespoons milk, paprika, and remaining salt. Use a potato masher or fork to mash the potatoes until they are fluffy. Roll into balls. Place on a tray lined with wax paper and freeze overnight.
- To prepare the batter, mix together the flour, garlic powder, pepper, and remaining salt. Stir in 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Slowly add ½ cup milk, stirring constantly, until it forms a runny batter.
- Heat the oil in a large pot set over medium-high heat, making sure it is not more than half full. Roll the mashed potato balls in the batter and drop into the hot oil. Cook for about 4 minutes, turning occasionally, until they turn a deep golden brown and are cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.