Fried Potato Balls
You can hide savory surprises inside these treats, such as olives, halved cherry tomatoes, or cubes of gooey cheese.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 large eggs separated, whites whisked stiff
- 1¾ cups finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- ¼ cup potato flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1½ cups boiled and riced potatoes
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- Beat the egg yolks and place in a large bowl with 1 cup Parmesan cheese, flour, salt, and pepper. Add potatoes and mix well. Fold in the whisked egg whites.
- Form into balls about the size of large marbles. Roll in the remaining Parmesan cheese. If too soft, place on a cookie sheet in the freezer for a few minutes.
- Bring oil to 375°F in a Dutch oven or deep-fryer. Carefully add the balls and fry until well browned, about 3–4 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels and serve hot.