Fried Rice with Kimchi and Fried Egg
This rice is loaded with flavor from the kimchi and vegetables, and the egg helps to create a velvety sauce for the entire dish.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp. salt, divided
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 1 small red onion, peeled and diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup chopped kimchi
- 1 Tbsp. kimchi juice
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large scallion (white and green parts), chopped
- Bring rice, water, and ½ teaspoon salt to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cover the pan. Cook for 15 minutes and turn heat off. Let rice steam for 15 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion and bell pepper and season with ½ teaspoon salt. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in kimchi and kimchi juice. Cook for 2 minutes or until kimchi is warmed through.
- Divide rice between 2 bowls and top with kimchi mixture.
- Wipe skillet with a paper towel and add remaining oil. Heat oil over medium-high heat. Crack eggs into the pan and season with remaining salt. Cover the pan. Let the eggs cook until the whites are set and the yolk is just set, about 3 minutes. Top rice bowls with eggs and garnish with scallions.