Eat fried smelts like you eat corn on the cob and nibble the flesh off the bone. Serve with green salad.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¾ lb. fresh smelts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Clean the smelts in ice-cold water and pat dry. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and garlic powder onto a plate. Pour the milk into a shallow bowl.
- Heat the oil on medium temperature in a large sauté pan. Dust the smelts with the flour mixture, dip in the milk, and then dust with the flour again. Gently place in the oil.
- Fry the smelts on each side for approximately 3 to 5 minutes or until browned and thoroughly cooked. Drain on a rack with paper towel beneath to catch the drippings.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve hot.