Fried Tofu with Peanut Sauce
This snack has to be served immediately after fried. It will only stay crispy for about 30 minutes.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Medium
- 2 Tbsp. plus 3 cups vegetable oil, divided
- ⅓ cup coarsely ground peanuts
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. red curry paste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. crushed roasted peanuts
- 1 package (16 oz.) firm tofu
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the peanuts, sugar, and curry paste and sauté until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add coconut milk and salt. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly. Stir in lime juice. Remove from heat, cover, and keep hot.
- Remove tofu from the package. Place a kitchen towel on a plate. Put tofu block on top and place another kitchen towel on top of the tofu. Put a heavy pot on top to help release water. Let the tofu press for 30 minutes.
- Cut tofu in half and slice into ¼"-thick slices.
- In a deep skillet, heat 3 cups oil to 350°F. Deep-fry tofu for 4 minutes, turning halfway through to evenly brown both sides of the tofu pieces.
- Serve tofu with peanut dipping sauce.