Fried Tofu with Tomato Sauce
If you are unable to find prefried tofu, simply take firm tofu cubes and blot dry with paper towels to remove excess moisture. Heat vegetable oil to 375°F and deep-fry until golden brown (about 4–5 minutes).
Serves: 4Hands-on: 5 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- ¼ cup diced shallots
- 4 Roma tomatoes, seeded and roughly diced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 small red jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 4 cups cubed fried tofu
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ cup cups chopped cilantro
- In a wok, heat oil over medium heat and add the garlic and shallots. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, scallions, and jalapeño and cook for an additional 2–3 minutes until softened.
- Stir in ketchup and fish sauce. Lower the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Toss in fried tofu and coat evenly. Season with black pepper and garnish with fresh cilantro.