Frito Pie Casserole
You’ll love the crunch this casserole packs. It’s a great bit of salty goodness you’ll love sharing!
Serves: 10Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3½ Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. onion powder
- 1 Tbsp. ground oregano
- 2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 medium jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- 3 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato sauce
- 3½ cups beef broth
- 1 bag (10.25 oz.) Fritos Corn Chips
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese, divided
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a large casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and black pepper in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño peppers and cook about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook an additional minute. Season vegetables with 1 tablespoon of the reserved chili powder mixture and stir to coat.
- Add sausage and beef and brown about 10 minutes. Sprinkle remaining chili powder mixture over meat and stir well.
- Add tomato sauce and broth. Mix well. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes.
- Crush half of the corn chips and place on the bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Top with one third of the cheese. Add meat mixture and top with another one third of cheese. Place remaining corn chips on top and add remaining cheese. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with green onions. Serve hot.