You can easily increase the number of servings in this recipe by adding a can of pinto beans or serving it over a large helping of Fritos. Choose mild, medium, or sharp Cheddar according to your preference.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 4 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 cup diced white onion, divided
- 2 1⁄2 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp. chili powder
- 4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cans (28 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bag (12 oz.) Fritos Original Corn Chips
- 4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sliced scallions
- Brown ground beef in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, breaking apart meat as you do so. Drain off any fat rendered from meat.
- Stir in oil, 1 cup onion, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, and salt and pepper; sauté for 5 minutes or until onion is transparent. Transfer ground beef mixture to a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Stir in tomatoes. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- To serve, place a handful (1 ounce or more) of Fritos on each plate. Ladle chili over Fritos. Top with cheese. Sprinkle with scallions and remaining white onion.