Frosted Chocolate Drops
Frosted chocolate drops are an old-fashioned favorite. If you don’t have time to make frosting, you can use a canned variety.
Makes: 36 cookiesHands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
Makes: 36 cookies
- 1½ cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp. plus ¼ cup softened butter, divided
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- ¾ tsp. salt, divided
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring brown sugar and cream to a boil, stirring constantly. Once mixture comes to a boil, cover and boil 3 minutes. Remove cover and boil until mixture reaches 234°F–236°F on a candy thermometer. This is the soft ball stage. Remove from heat; add 2 tablespoons butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cool until temperature reaches 110°F; beat until mixture is thick enough to spread. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream shortening, ¼ cup butter, and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and buttermilk. Combine flour, cocoa powder, ½ teaspoon salt, and baking soda; stir in with walnuts.
- Drop by rounded teaspoon onto baking sheets. Bake 8–10 minutes. Cool completely.
- Frost tops with frosting and garnish with a walnut half.