Frosted Cinnamon Rolls
Serves: 16Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 8 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 cups warm whole milk (105–115°F)
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1½ cups butter, melted and cooled, divided
- cooking spray
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- ¾ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 Tbsp. cold whole milk
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- Combine 2 cups flour, warm milk, granulated sugar, salt, and yeast in a large bowl; mix well. Add eggs and 1 cup butter. Stir in as much of the remaining flour as needed to form a soft dough. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 to 8 minutes, adding a little flour as necessary, until smooth and elastic. Transfer to a large greased bowl and turn to coat both sides. Cover with a towel and place in a draft-free area. Allow the dough to rise until double in volume, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down with fist, and turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead 10 to 15 times. Cover with a towel and let rest 10 minutes. Roll dough out into a 24" x 15" rectangle.
- Combine brown sugar, remaining butter, and cinnamon in small bowl and stir well. Spread out onto dough to within 1" of the edges. Roll up tightly lengthwise, pinching edges together to seal. Cut into 16 slices with a serrated bread knife. Place rolls onto two greased 13" x 9" baking pans. Cover with a towel and let rise until doubled, about 15 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- For frosting, stir together confectioners’ sugar, cold milk, and vanilla in a small bowl. Mix until smooth. Drizzle over rolls.