Frosted Cinnamon Rolls
Serves: 16Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 8 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 cups warm whole milk (105 to 115°F)
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, melted and cooled, divided
- cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 3⁄4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 Tbsp. cold whole milk
- 1⁄4 tsp. vanilla extract
- Combine 2 cups flour, warm milk, granulated sugar, salt, and yeast in a large bowl; mix well. Add eggs and 1 cup butter. Stir in as much of the remaining flour as needed to form a soft dough. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 to 8 minutes, adding a little flour as necessary, until smooth and elastic. Transfer to a large greased bowl and turn to coat both sides. Cover with a towel and place in a draft-free area. Allow the dough to rise until double in volume, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down with fist, and turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead 10 to 15 times. Cover with a towel and let rest 10 minutes. Roll dough out into a 24-by-15-inch rectangle.
- Combine brown sugar, remaining butter, and cinnamon in small bowl and stir well. Spread out onto dough to within 1 inch of the edges. Roll up tightly lengthwise, pinching edges together to seal. Cut into 16 slices with a serrated bread knife. Place rolls onto two greased 13-by-9-inch baking pans. Cover with a towel and let rise until doubled, about 15 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375°F. Bake until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- For frosting, stir together confectioners’ sugar, cold milk, and vanilla in a small bowl. Mix until smooth. Drizzle over rolls.