Frosted Ginger Creams
Reminiscent of gingersnaps, but not quite, these spicy cookies are the perfect ending to a chilly day. They are softer and more cake like than gingersnaps. For the best flavor, serve with coffee and some great conversation.
Makes: 72Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup hot, black coffee
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground cloves
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 Tbsp. orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease several baking sheets.
- Cream sugar and shortening until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Stir in molasses. Dissolve baking soda in coffee; stir into egg mixture. Combine flour, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves and stir into egg mixture. Fold in crystallized ginger.
- Drop by teaspoonful onto baking sheets. Bake 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Mix confectioner’s sugar with orange juice. Drizzle cookies with glaze while still warm.