Frozen Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
The typical red velvet cookie or cake is filled with cream cheese or vanilla frosting. These frozen treats are filled with vanilla ice cream. Or try your favorite gourmet flavor.
Serves: 30Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 5 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 2 drops red food coloring
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Prepare multiple baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter on medium-high speed until smooth. Add brown sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add egg and beat for 2 minutes, then beat in vanilla. Alternate adding in flour mixture and buttermilk, starting and ending with buttermilk. Scrape bowl with a rubber spatula to incorporate any remaining flour. Stir in food coloring.
- With a tablespoon, spoon batter onto prepared baking sheets, leaving roughly 1 to 2 inches in between to allow for spreading. Bake for 8 minutes, or until set. Allow to cool on wire racks.
- Once cooled, pipe or spread ice cream onto half of the cookies, and top with remaining cookies. Place all in a sealed container, layering with parchment paper if needed. Freeze 5 hours until set. Serve immediately or wrap individually until ready to eat.