Fruit and Cream in a Meringue Crust
This dessert is also called Pavlova cake, a wonderful Australian dessert. It’s sometimes topped with peeled, sliced kiwi fruit in addition to strawberries, which you could do for this recipe as well.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 6 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄8 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 tsp. granulated sucralose sweetener, divided
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pecans
- 1 large banana, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup heavy or whipping cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 pint strawberries, washed and hulled; half sliced, half left whole for top of pie
- Preheat oven to 175°F. Spray a 9-inch pie pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites with salt, vinegar, and 1⁄2 cup sweetener. When stiff, fold in nuts.
- Pour mixture into prepared pie pan. Bake at 175ºF for 4 hours. Let cool 1 hour.
- Place banana slices over the meringue crust.
- Whip the cream with remaining 2 teaspoons sugar substitute and vanilla. Spoon and spread on top of the banana. Cover with the sliced strawberries. Serve immediately.