Fruit and Nut Bars
The secret to this recipe is to use quick-cooking oats, which are thinner than regular cooking oatmeal and have been steamed.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup diced dried dates
- 1⁄2 cup diced dried apricots
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened evaporated milk
- Place the quick-cooking oats in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter on medium-low heat. Add the sugars and cook until they are dissolved and bubbling.
- Stir in the dried cranberries, dates, apricots, and walnuts. Push to one side of the skillet.
- Turn the heat up to medium and add the evaporated milk in the other half of the skillet. When the milk is just starting to boil, stir to mix it in with the dried fruit and sugar mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the bowl with the quick-cooking oats and mix thoroughly. Press into a greased 8- or 9-inch square baking pan. Chill 1 hour before serving.