Fruit and Seed Stuffed Apples
Fillings for autumn baked apples include sweetened pastes (lotus seeds, aduki, sesame seed, chestnut), raisins, rolled oats, sunflower seeds, and walnuts. Flavorings include cinnamon, vanilla, orange zest, or mint leaves.
Serves: 2Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 5 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 large apples
- 1 Tbsp. pumpkin seeds, roasted
- 1 Tbsp. golden raisins, fruit sweetened
- 1 tsp. sweet white miso
- 4 Tbsp. tahini
- Brown rice syrup or barley malt syrup, to taste
- ¾ cup water or apple juice
- 2 tsp. kuzu
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Slice top part of apples and hollow out the cores without going all the way through the apples. Mix all other ingredients except kuzu and water or apple juice. Fill apples with stuffing. Place tops back on apples.
- Place apples in a baking pan. Pour ½ cup water or apple juice in bottom of pan. Bake apples, covered, 35–45 minutes until tender.
- To make glaze, dissolve kuzu in ¼ cup water. Heat while stirring until kuzu becomes translucent.
- Pour kuzu glaze over apples and serve.