Fruit and Spice Cookies
These cookies are filled with good things. You could use any type of chopped dried fruits that youʼd like: raisins or dates would be delicious too.
Makes: 60Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 3 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1⁄4 tsp. cardamom
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup chopped dried cherries
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup chopped almonds
- 3⁄4 cup shelled sunflower seeds
- In large bowl, beat butter with confectioners' sugar, salt, cinnamon, and cardamom until fluffy. Add egg whites and 1⁄4 cup orange juice and mix well.
- Stir in all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour until a dough forms. Add cherries, cranberries, almonds, and sunflower seeds. Cover and chill dough for 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Form dough into 3⁄4-inch balls and place on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until cookies are set and very light golden brown on the bottoms.