Fruit-Stuffed French Toast
The rich eggy flavor of challah creates the rich profile of this dish.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 tsp. olive oil
- 12 thick slices challah bread
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup lemon curd
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced strawberries, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups raspberries, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a baking sheet with the oil.
- Spread cream cheese thickly on 4 slices bread. Top with 1 cup strawberries and 1 cup raspberries. Spread a thin layer of lemon curd on the remaining slices of bread and place on top of the fruit-topped slices.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs and egg whites, then add the milk. Dip the sandwiches into the egg mixture, letting it fully absorb the mixture. Place the sandwiches on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes on 1 side, flip, and bake 10 minutes more.
- While the French toast is baking, pour the orange juice in small saucepan; boil until reduced by half and the mixture becomes syrupy. Remove the French toast from the oven, and cut in half. Serve a drizzle of juice, remaining berries, and a sprinkling of sugar.