An easy way to bring traditional holiday flavor to your Christmas cookie platter.
Serves: 48Prep: 30 minutesCook: 20 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 3⁄4 cups sifted, all-purpose flour (reserve ¼ cup for dredging candied fruit and dates)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 8 ounces Kroger® Candied Cherries
- 8 ounces chopped dates
- 8 ounces Kroger® Fruit Cake Mix
- Preheat oven to 400°F and grease several baking sheets.
- In a large bowl, beat shortening and sugar together until mixture assumes light, creamy texture.
- Add egg. Beat until well blended.
- In a separate, small bowl, combine 1½ cups flour, salt and baking soda. Mix well.
- Alternately beat flour mixture and buttermilk into shortening mixture.
- Dredge candied fruit pieces, candied cherries and dates in reserved flour. Fold floured fruits and chopped pecans into dough mix.
- Spoon dough onto greased baking sheets, leaving 1½” to 2” between cookies.
- Bake 8-13 minutes (until cookies are lightly golden).
- Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool 15-20 minutes on wire rack. Store in wax paper-lined, airtight container.