This recipe makes 2 single-layer cakes. Make both for a large crowd, or freeze one for later use. Halve the frosting recipe if making only one cake. Sprinkle chunks of chocolate over the frosted cake to make it even more decadent!
Serves: 16Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 3 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 3 squares unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 5⁄8 tsp. salt, divided
- 1 1⁄3 cups butter, softened, divided
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 6 tsp. vanilla extract, divided
- 4 egg whites
- 2 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp. instant espresso granules
- 2 1⁄2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 large chocolate bar (8 oz.), chopped into chunks
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray two 8-inch round cake pans with nonstick baking spray containing flour; set aside.
- In small bowl, combine boiling water with unsweetened chocolate; stir until chocolate melts, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, 1 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, and 1⁄2 teaspoon salt.
- Add 1⁄3 cup butter, milk, and 2 teaspoons vanilla; beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. Add unbeaten egg whites and beat for 1 minute longer. Then stir in the chocolate mixture until smooth. Divide mixture among cake pans.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes until cake start to pull away from sides of pan. Let cool for 5 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely on racks. You can tightly wrap 1 of the cakes with plastic wrap and freeze it at this point, or frost both.
- In a large measuring cup, combine heavy cream, sour cream and espresso granules, mixing until smooth.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the remaining 1 cup butter. Stir in remaining 3 cups granulated sugar, cocoa, and remaining 1⁄8 teaspoon salt. Gradually whisk in the cream mixture and blend until smooth. Cook, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes, or until sugar has dissolved and mixture is smooth.
- Off the heat, stir in remaining 4 teaspoons vanilla. Cool at room temperature until spreadable, about 1 hour. Frost cake and sprinkle the top with chunks of chocolate.