Fusilli with Grilled Eggplant, Garlic, and Spicy Tomato Sauce
The smoky, fruity flavor of grilled eggplant marries beautifully with tomatoes and garlic. Fusilli’s deep crannies scoop up every drop of this complex-tasting sauce.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 small eggplant (about 1⁄2 lb.), cut lengthwise into 8 wedges
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup roughly chopped Italian parsley
- 4 cups tomato sauce
- 8 oz. fusilli, cooked “al dente”
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat grill.
- In a medium bowl, toss the eggplant wedges with 1 tablespoon olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Grill eggplant on the largest cut side for 4 minutes until black marks show. Using tongs or a fork, turn to another side and cook 3 minutes more until it is bubbling with juices. Transfer to a cutting board to cool; cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces.
- In a medium bowl, mix remaining olive oil with garlic and red pepper flakes. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic mixture; allow to sizzle just 15 seconds, stirring with a wooden spoon, before adding the parsley. Cook 30 seconds; add the eggplant and tomato sauce. Bring to a simmer, add the cooked pasta, and cook until heated through; remove from heat.
- Finish by adding butter and cheese and tossing well to combine.