Garam Masala Powder (Warm Spice Mix)
You can vary this recipe a bit—experiment with various spices until you find the combination that works for you.
Makes: 2 tablespoonsHands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
Makes: 2 tablespoons
- 8 whole cloves
- 4 tsp. cumin seeds
- 3 green whole cardamom pods
- 2 black whole cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick (2")
- 2 tsp. coriander seeds
- 1 tsp. black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- ⅛ tsp. fresh grated nutmeg
- Heat a small skillet on medium heat. Add all the spices except the nutmeg and dry roast the spices, stirring constantly. After about 5 minutes, the spices will darken and begin to release a unique aroma.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, then add the nutmeg. Transfer the spice mix to a bowl and allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
- Using a spice grinder, grind the spices to a fine powder. Store in an airtight jar. The spice mixture will keep for up to 3 months.