Garden Pasta Sauce
Vegetables add flavor and nutrition to a classic pasta sauce; they also help reduce the fat content. Serve this over hot cooked whole wheat pasta.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cans (14 oz.) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ⅛ tsp. crushed red pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- 4 Tbsp. chopped basil
- In a nonstick skillet over low heat, heat olive oil and add onion and garlic. Cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes. Add bell pepper, and celery; cook and stir for 3 minutes longer.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, wine, brown sugar, parsley, crushed red pepper, and salt. Stir well to combine. Bring to a simmer, then cover skillet, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes to blend flavors.
- Top with basil before serving.