Garlic Dill Pickles
Nothing goes together quite so well as dill and garlic.
Makes: 8Hands-on: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 8 lbs. pickling cucumbers
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 12 cups water
- 2⁄3 cup pickling salt
- 16 whole cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 tsp. minced garlic
- 24 sprigs fresh dill weed
- Wash cucumbers and soak in ice water for 2 hours. If you’re planning to slice these, wait until just before canning.
- Bring the vinegar, water, and salt to a boil.
- Pack each jar with approximately 1 pound cucumbers. Place 2 cloves garlic, 3 sprigs dill, and 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic into each of 8 quart-sized jars.
- Fill jars with brine, leaving 1 inch headspace and making sure the cucumbers are fully covered. Cap and process jars for 15 minutes in a hot-water bath. Age for 2 months before eating.