These highly-addictive knots are especially great for sopping up sauce after a hearty pasta meal.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 25 minutesTotal: 2 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 packet (1⁄4 oz.) dry active yeast
- 2 cups warm water (should not exceed 120°F)
- 5 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- In a bowl, stir together yeast and warm water, and let stand 5 minutes until foamy. Sift together the flours and salt.
- Mix flour, dissolved yeast mixture, and water by hand or in a mixer with a dough hook until the dough forms in to a ball. Remove from the mixing bowl and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet with 1⁄2 tablespoon oil. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to 1 inch thick and cut into 12-inch strands. Form into four 4-inch knots. Place the knots on the prepared pan, cover with a clean kitchen towel, and let rise 1 hour in a warm place.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Sprinkle the dough knots with remaining oil, then sprinkle with garlic, Italian seasoning, and salt.
- Bake for 15 minutes.