In Belgium, where frites is a national dish, ketchup is a rarity. Instead, the Belgians dip their fried potatoes in seasoned mayonnaises flavored with fresh or roasted garlic. Once you’ve tried this luxurious flavor combination, you may never reach for ketchup again.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 10 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice, divided
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Mash together the garlic and salt in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the yolks, mustard, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Using a rapid whisking action, very gradually whisk ¼ cup olive oil into the yolk mixture. Add a few drops of room-temperature water to help incorporate the oil, then repeat with remaining oil, adding it in a slow, steady stream while whisking vigorously. Stir in remaining lemon juice.