Garlic Miso and Onion Soup
Boiling miso destroys some of its beneficial enzymes, so be sure to heat this soup to just below a simmer. Use a soft hand when slicing the silken tofu, so it doesn’t crumble.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 5 cups water
- ½ cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 3 scallions, chopped
- ½ medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ¾ tsp. garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 block silken tofu, diced
- ⅓ cup miso
- 1 Tbsp. chopped seaweed, any kind
- Combine all ingredients except for miso and seaweed in a large soup or stock pot and bring to a slow simmer. Cook, uncovered, for 10–12 minutes.
- Reduce heat and stir in miso and seaweed, being careful not to boil.
- Heat, stirring to dissolve miso, for another 5 minutes until onions and mushrooms are soft.