Garlicky Green Beans
You can add more garlic to this simple and flavorful side dish if you like. Just be sure to stir constantly while the garlic and shallots are browning so they don’t burn.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 5 minutesTotal: 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. green beans
- 4 cups water
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 shallot, peeled and chopped
- ½ tsp. salt
- Trim the ends off the green beans and cut each bean in half crosswise. Place in heavy saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat; then lower heat to medium and simmer for 5–8 minutes, until beans are crisp and tender.
- Meanwhile, combine olive oil and butter in heavy saucepan and add garlic and shallot. Cook and stir over medium heat until the garlic is fragrant and turns light brown around the edges.
- Drain beans and add to garlic mixture in pan, along with salt. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2–3 minutes, until beans are coated. Serve immediately.