Garlicky London Broil
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 lb. beef flank steak
- 3⁄4 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed separately
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Score the flank steak on both sides in a diamond-shaped pattern with cuts about 1⁄4 inch deep. Combine the cracked pepper and 1 clove crushed garlic; rub into the surface of the meat. Place meat in a large zip-top plastic bag.
- Combine the remaining crushed garlic with the olive oil and lemon juice in a small bowl. Add to plastic bag and turn to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator about 1 hour, turning several times.
- Preheat the broiler and adjust the rack so that the top of the steak will be 3 inches from the heating element. Place the steak on the broiler pan, broil about 5 minutes, season the top with half the salt and ground black pepper, then turn. Broil 5 minutes more for medium-rare, or a few minutes longer if medium is desired. Remove, season with remaining salt and pepper, and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice very thinly on the diagonal across the grain to serve.