Gâteau au Yaourt de Pommes (Apple Yogurt Cake)
Yogurt cake is so easy to make that you can invent as many recipes as your imagination allows. The apple yogurt cake is the most popular.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 4 medium apples, thinly sliced
- 2⁄3 cup plus 3 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 2⁄3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup sunflower oil
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter an 8-inch round baking dish with 1 tablespoon butter. Pour 1 tablespoon sugar into the dish, and shake so that the sugar is evenly distributed.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the apple slices and brown them on each side, about 2 to 3 minutes total. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons sugar over the apples and sauté until slightly caramelized, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and spread in reserved baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine yogurt and eggs and mix well. Add flour, 2⁄3 cup sugar, oil, baking powder, and salt. Beat again until the mixture is combined. Pour batter over the apples.
- Bake for 40 minutes. The cake is cooked when a knife blade put in the center comes back out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve warm or cold.