Gâteau de Savoie (Savoie Cake)
Save to My Recipes
This cake is a classic from Savoie, in the Alps. It’s extremely light and airy, and is served in renowned restaurants like Le Grand Véfour in Paris.
Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 50 minutes
- 3 large eggs, yolks and egg whites separated
- 7 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 7 Tbsp. cornstarch
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- Preheat the oven at 350°F. In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks and the sugar until the mixture whitens. Stir continuously as you add the baking powder, and then the cornstarch, tablespoon by tablespoon.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk the egg whites and the salt steadily, until they are very firm. Add ⅓ of the whites to the batter, folding them in slowly and gently. Add the other ⅔ the same way, very slowly.
- Butter a 9" round cake pan. Pour the batter in it. Bake for 40 minutes.
- Unmold immediately cool on a wire rack.