Gelato di Pistacchio (Pistachio Gelato)
Believe it or not, despite their nutty appearance, pistachios are not nuts. They are actually the seeds of a plum-like fruit, the flesh of which is removed during processing.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 4 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup unsalted shelled pistachios
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄8 salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup toasted unsalted shelled pistachios, chopped
- Combine the pistachios and sugar in a blender or food processor and pulse until well chopped. Place into a medium saucepan. Add the milk and salt and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks. Once the milk mixture is hot, temper the yolks by adding half of the mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly. Add the egg mixture to the saucepan and heat until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Chill 4 hours. Stir in the cream and chopped toasted pistachios.
- Add to the ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for freezing. Stop the churning as soon as the gelato is just frozen.