General Tso Chicken With Brown Rice
Deep-fried chicken is tossed with a sweet-and-sour sauce and served over rice for a dish you’ll want to make time and time again.
Serves: 5Prep: 15 minutesCook: 40 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup Simple Truth Organic™ Long Grain Brown Rice
- 4 1⁄8 cups vegetable oil, divided
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 tsp. cornstarch, divided
- 1 1⁄4 pounds Simple Truth™ Natural Boneless & Skinless Chicken Thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 6 dried red pepper pods
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 tsp. rice wine
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Simple Truth Organic™ Soy Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Simple Truth Organic™ Whole Sesame Seed
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- Cook rice according to package directions. Set aside.
- Heat 4 cups oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 375°F.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs until smooth. Stir in ½ cup of cornstarch until no lumps remain, then mix in chicken until evenly coated in batter.
- In batches, carefully drop chicken cubes into hot oil one by one, cooking until chicken turns golden brown and begins to float, about 3 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- In a wok, heat 1/8 cup of oil.
- Stir in dried peppers and cook for about 30 seconds until color brightens. Add chicken and cook for a few minutes until the chicken turns a deep, golden brown.
- In a small bowl, stir together rice vinegar, rice wine, sugar, soy sauce and 2 teaspoons of cornstarch.
- Pour mixture into wok, and boil until sauce thickens, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds over chicken. Serve over rice and garnish with green onions.